Saturday, February 22, 2014

Streak-Free Shine

Being invisible has never appealed to me. I'm not really the sort of person to sit in the background, not matter what's going on. After all, if I'm going to be somewhere, I want people to know I'm there. Otherwise, what's the point of being there, right? To be honest, I don't usually find this a particularly troubling trait in myself. It allows me to get things done that need doing and move on to the next task, whether that be socializing (yes, that counts as a task for me), cleaning a bed or giving blood to a severely hypotensive patient. But I've begun to wonder if maybe, sometimes, it isn't a good idea to be too visible. I don't mean that I want to disappear into the background, because I really don't think being invisible is the point, but I do wonder if there isn't someway that I can be less me. I'm not being self-deprecating. I quite like being myself. However, I know someone who is a great deal better than I am (like saying VY Canis Majoris is a great deal bigger than the earth, if you're looking for a scale reference), and who deserves a lot more attention than I do.

For that reason, I wish I could be see-through, like a window, so that while I'm rushing about being visible and all, people would be able to see who it is that is giving me the strength to do what I do. And trust me. I definitely need the strength. I can't count on one hand the number of times I almost broke down yesterday alone. I am not by nature a patient person, so if you ever see me being patient, I hope you can realize that you're not actually seeing me at all. I'm being see-through.

There is, of course, a catch. Funny thing about windows: when they're dark on the inside, they only reflects what's outside. So if I tell people that I'm a Christian, that I believe in serving a Living God, then if I'm impatient or bitter, if I lie or cheat or curse, I'm painting the inside of my window black, covering up what I'm supposed to be showing, giving a false idea of who God is and what he wants. If I'm not revealing God, then I'm reflecting the world. And for people who have no idea what God's love truly is that must be terribly confusing.

Love is a great window cleaner (better than vinegar and newspaper). It strips away all that black paint and reveals what's truly behind the glass. I find it harder to use than I should. Fortunately, I'm not alone in this effort to create a streak-free shine. God is the one who started the process, and I know he's not going to stop until it's finished.




And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
 Philippians 1:6

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous22/2/14 12:00

    Well said. Thank you. I love word pictures.

    Phyllis :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. I want to be a window too. The cleaning process would be a constant. You really made me think here. Thanks Aimee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!