Monday, August 26, 2013

The Homosexuality Issue is the not the Issue

Over the last few weeks, I found myself feeling increasingly uneasy, watching the unrest over the issue of homosexual marriage and homosexuality in general. As event unfold it's becoming more and more clear that in order for "everyone" to be free those who don't fall on the right side of this issue are going to be punished unfairly. And that is worrisome.

Then I realized what's going on here. Talk about smokescreens. This isn't about homosexuality; it isn't about marriage, abortion, slavery, genocide, or which version of the Bible you use. The issue is, as always, whether or not we as Christians are going to choose to act like Christ. That's it. Bottom line. God is control. Always. Our job is to share Christ's love with people.

I think personally, my job in the healthcare field has made part of this easier for me. In healthcare you don't discriminate. I've taken care of people who have done drugs while pregnant, who've been imprisoned for rape, who've tried to commit suicide, who are transgender or homosexual, who are alcoholics.... And it doesn't matter. You treat the person in front of you, and you don't judge them or look down on them, because if you did, you wouldn't be able to do the job.

That's the way it should be in our Christian lives. Treat the person in front of you. Love them as the circumstances call for it. I'm not saying you should tell them what they are doing is right. I don't tell patients who use drugs that they are okay to keep on doing drugs. It is going to kill them, and I have a responsibility to warn them of that. But people should learn to care about your opinion, because they care about you, which happens when you invest time into them. It doesn't work the other way around. No one says, "I really respect that outspoken opinion that was thrown at me like a dart, maybe I should get to know that person."

My point being, don't let what society says is the issue confuse you about what you need to be doing. God has already told us what is required. He didn't tell us we were responsible for fixing the world. He didn't tell us we had to run the country the way we want it run. Just imagine if we didn't live in a democracy. If we lived in a dictatorship where these issues weren't even up for a vote, how would that change how we act and think? The ideal answer would be that it wouldn't change our actions at all.


1 Corinthians 13:1-3, 13 (ESV): If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing...so now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is LOVE.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! You word things so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, thanks for putting my thoughts on paper Or computer, as it were.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!